Saturday, October 23, 2010

Your Reproduction is Everybody's Business

When you’re dating you get asked “When are you guys getting married?”
So you get married…
As soon as you’re married people start asking you, “When are you guys having kids?”
If you decide to stay childless you will forever be asked this question, or asked WHY you aren't having kids, as we all know everyone who doesn't have kids lives a meaningless existance....but, let's say...
You have a baby…
Soon after your first baby, people are asking you when you’re going to have another baby…
If you have a boy, they expect you to go for that girl, if you have a girl, they expect you to be going after that boy. Regardless of the gender of the child you currently have, it’s the other gender that is somehow more desirable and your life will not be fulfilled until you have one of each. Like life’s greatest collectibles, “gotta collect them all!”
Let’s say you have your second child and it’s the same gender as your first…
“Are you going to have a third and try for that other gender?”
Let’s say you have one of each…
“Are you going to have anymore?” (as in, you have one of each, why would you ever want more children? Your collection is complete)
Now let’s say you have a third child…if you have all one gender, people will always wonder if you’re going after that elusive other gender, or if you’ve given up. Okay, they may not state it like that, but that’s how it’s implied. If you already have one of each and you have a third…
“Why did you have a third? You already have one of each!” This is more verbatim, I have been asked this before.
Regardless of what the genders of your kids are, after three you are pretty much expected to be done. It’s not so much a question of if you want more, it’s more of a statement that you must be done. And while I haven’t experienced it first hand, I’m pretty sure once you cross that line and have 4+ you start getting the question “Are they all yours?”

Will we have a fourth? Well, my mother certainly believes I am done and have enough. I like that she has decided my ideal family size for me. But I’m not sure I’m done. And despite what my husband might say to his friends, he’s not entirely sure he is either. But if we do, it’ll be several years from now. I guess that gives me enough time to come up with witty remarks to that last question.

4 comments:

  1. Where I live you don't get that. There are many families that have like 8 kids and no one bats and eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky!

    I'm constantly getting comments and questions about our family size, you'd swear we have 10 kids or something. And if John is seen with all three without me he gets even MORE questions. Sometimes complete strangers will even say things like "you know how that happens, right?" Or other sex inuendos.

    I think the most kids I've seen is 6 and it was definitely out of the ordinary, 4 is like the average max.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same thing, everyone assumes I want another to get a boy. When frankly, since Z said this will be our last, I want another girl if I ever get pregnant. I would have loved to have met the guy who wanted to have a huge family, but I didn't... but if I'd had that option, I'd have had 6 easily. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that people say Now all you need is a girl. I want to say well I do have one but she's dead. Now hows that for shock value

    ReplyDelete